eVisits for Out of Town Transplant Patients
What to Expect | eVisit Program Candidates | Multiple Listing
Contact Us | Out of Town Patient FAQ | Para Español
We understand that finding the best transplant option is stressful. For some patients, being listed for transplant at multiple facilities can help expand their options, and we can help.
Patients who are already on a primary waiting list for a transplant at another center outside of Maryland may also be able to be listed with the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC). We can evaluate transplant patients without travel via our eVisit option.
Our eVisit program is an innovative way to increase access to transplantation. An eVisit lets us evaluate you conveniently from the comfort of your home.
Plan to reserve one hour for the meeting. We encourage you to have a caregiver join you, if possible. Here’s how it works:
- Video technology lets you have a private, real-time conversation with a transplant surgeon and nurse coordinator at UMMC.
- You meet and interact with the providers via desktop computer, tablet or smartphone.
- The surgeon will discuss multiple listing and the waiting list process at UMMC.
- We encourage you to ask questions and get to know the surgeon and transplant nurse coordinator. The coordinator will become your main point of contact for additional questions. Meet the transplant nurse coordinators.
During the meeting, neither you nor the surgeon is committed to placing you on the waiting list or accepting a position on the transplant waiting list. We will also review your medical information from your home medical team to help you decide if listing at UMMC is right for you.
The eVisit program is especially appealing to patients who have:
Live outside of Maryland and are able to travel
Identified a living donor
Learn more about our living donor programs for kidney and liver
Multiple listing may put some patients on the fastest path to an available organ for transplant. Being listed at multiple hospitals may shorten the wait for an organ transplant by several months, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).
If an organ becomes available at UMMC, our transplant team will perform the transplant surgery. That means you will need to travel to UMMC in Baltimore, Maryland, for your transplant.
Patients who are multiple listed with UMMC should expect the following:
- Be able to arrive at UMMC in Baltimore within 12 hours of an organ becoming available for transplant
- Recover as an inpatient at UMMC for approximately 1 week after your surgery
- Stay in Baltimore for 1 week after discharge from UMMC. This ensures that you can attend follow-up appointments with the UMMC team. Our Concierge Services team can assist you in planning your time in Baltimore.
- We will collaborate with your physicians at home so that they can manage your long-term follow-up care.
Learn more about multiple listing at UMMC.
To schedule an eVisit, please call 1-410-328-5941.
For referring physicians: To refer a patient or get more information, please call 1-800-373-4111. A physician service representative from Consultation and Referral Services will direct your call to the appropriate physician or department.
For more details, please visit our section for referring physicians.